Thursday, April 10, 2008

This is not a billboard

I swear, 4am almost to the minute.

Total silence in a residential neighborhood in the City. A big V8 vehicle pulls up and idles. Someone gets out... two young guys, mumbling to each other. Then I hear the hissing.

I punch the wall. I hear, "What was that? Did you hear that?" "Nah, it was nothing". Then more hissing. I scamper over to the peephole and look. Yep, two teenage kids, Vato-style clothes, standing around with spraypaint cans. So I yell, "HEY!" in my best Sicilian mobster voice. The footsteps scramble into the car, instantly, and it drives off. Fast.

A few minutes later, I hear a vehicle speed past. A few minutes later, another one (or the same one again). I dunno. Should I go to sleep, or try to get the vehicle to start (might take a few minutes worth of cranking)? I may wait it out.

UPDATE: I waited, and a few more times the vehicle (looked like a 60's Nova or something) sped by. I went to sleep. I woke up, and all they had managed to do was tag the black tailgate of the box van with some white paint. Glad I stopped them; who knows what they'd planned.

No comments: