Thursday, April 14, 2011

Clip Clop

I notice sounds. A lot. My whole world is made of sound, and always has. This often irritates me to no end, as in when I'm in a city environment, or around a lot fo machines, or in a noisy suburb with the lawmowers, weed-whackers, chainsaws, band-saws, and leaf blowers going. It also is useful-- though often unsettling too-- when isolating problems with my van. I can hear tiny bearing noises, suspension noises, wheel and differential and transmission noises, etc. I need to be alone and I need quiet. This has a lot to do with why I'm a vandweller. It also has a lot to do with why I spent so much time insulating and soundproofing my van.

But my attention to sound is also helpful when listening to what's going on outside the van. I don't have windows, and my couple fish-eye viewholes don't often give a lot of detail, plus, I have to get up and walk over to them in order to see out. Also, in rain or fog, they get too blurry to be useful. But I can hear better than most folks. So I often know what is going on around me by sound. I can usually tell what kind of car, what kind of people, what mood they're in, what they're up to, all kinds of details, etc.

This morning, I was parked in a rural area, but a fairly upscale one which relies heavily on tourism. And I hear some people-- rich white older people, mostly-- parking next to me and blathering at each other, while making clip-clop sounds. Wha? Horses? No, not horses, I don't hear the sound of horses breathing or chewing or what not, and the clip-clop was different, only two at a time not four. Humans with hooves? No, while I am a fan of Pan, I doubt he is a tourist. Finally I get up and look out the peepholes, and I see people with bright flaming-yellow flourescent jackets. Oh, duh, of course: bicyclists. Yep, they have helmets too. The clip-clop sound was people walking around on their clip bike shoes!

I am feeling fantastic right now because I've found a way to make enough money doing computer-related stuff this month to meet my expenses, and even get ahead a bit, in only a few weeks of work.

This is a big deal, really. I've gotten ahead, for the first time in years. I've made it.

It was hard work-- 80 hour weeks, to be sure-- but not any harder than I've worked for myself for no pay at all on my own projects (home improvement, fixing my van, arts projects, etc.). I am indeed a brutal workaholic when I get onto a project. Now it looks like I've found at least one customer who values that talent/disease enough to pay me for it. It is a bit sad that I've abandoned my vocation in order to obtain this success, but, you know, homeboy's gotta eat.

So, right now, I feel I am close to obtaining-- or maybe have already obtained, on a provisional basis for one month at least-- vandweller success: to only have to work a few weeks out of the month, and have plenty of time and money left over to have a rich and wonderful and stress-free life. Now the task is to see if I can keep this up sustainably, month-after-month, over time.

I think the challenge will be to keep the income coming, while keeping the expenses from growing. A new phase in the journey: not finding a solution, but keeping it.

1 comment:

Tinabeane said...

Hi, Just catching up on your Blog and glad to hear 2011 is doing pretty good for you. Hope you get some steady jobs and money coming your way.

Tina